Thursday, January 13, 2011

Word! #4

ALOOF! uh-loof


–adverb

1.

at a distance, esp. in feeling or interest; apart

–adjective

2.

Reserved or reticent; indifferent; disinterested

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aloof



Def. In my own words, Being away from something that you care about and have become attached too.



Other tenses of the word:

1. Aloofly, adverb

2. Aloofness, noun



Example sentence:

1. As I left for my Mission Trip to Idaho, we drove over flat roads and the aloofness for my bike set in.

2. My mom became aloof as my sister and brother left for college and wouldn’t return for 3 months.



Best used?

I would say that the word ALOOF would be used in the presents of people that only care about the stock market. They would be aloof from there yachts and helicopters. Not only have I never heard this word before, but I really don’t think that I will be using it in the near future. Also, people that have a deep vocabulary; like an AP English teacher; for college level students that want to know how to express to the girlfriend that they miss then, or something.



My word is a lot like to care for, but it different because ‘to care for’ sounds like you could do without it. Saying your aloof from that ‘thing’ sounds like you have a greater agape love for it.



My word is different from reject; in a way it’s like saying I don’t care about it and don’t care if I am near it at all.



Rating: about a 2 out of 5; not only have I never heard it, but I don’t think your average 40 year old that has been all over the world has either. Also, I don’t think I will ever use it after this blog is done.



Picture: this soldier has been aloof (or distanced) from his family for some time after he was over seas.